Out of the dark autumn nights loom ghost, skeletons and thieves. While Halloween’s great fun, and bonfire night is great at this time of year protecting your home from crime is important. Dark nights can provide the ideal cover for thieves, and highlight your home as a target.
A recent report illustrated that most thefts occurred on a Friday, and in winter months. While preventing a break in entirely isn’t possible there are several easy steps that can reduce the risk of your home being targeted.
Day to day:
- Keep all windows and doors locked.
- Don’t hide keys under the door mat.
- Keep fencing in good repair.
- Keep gates closed – if possible lock those that give access to the rear of the property.
- Remove valuables from view.
- Secure bikes at home with a secure lock, if stored outside.
- Keep outside lighting in good working order.
When you are away:
- Turn on burglar alarms.
- Ask a neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Leave a radio on or get lighting timers to give the appearance of being in.