Switching Letting Agents in Glasgow: Advice for Landlords
Are you a landlord thinking of switching letting agents in Glasgow? Read on for some advice from Cairn.
Expensive maintenance charges. Substandard repairs. Poor communication. Late rent payments. And every time you call, it’s someone different on the other end of the line — and they don’t know you or your property.
As a landlord, the last thing you need is a letting agent mismanaging your property. If the above sounds familiar, it could be time for a change. And despite some common misconceptions, switching letting agents is easier than you think.
Moving Letting Agents in Glasgow: Common Misconceptions
Many landlords see changing letting agents as a hassle they can live without, so they stay loyal to an agency, even if they’re not meeting expectations.
Others think they need to wait until the property is empty before switching, while some simply don’t see the point in moving. After all, a letting agent is a letting agent, right?
Wrong. Let’s deal with these misconceptions, one by one:
1. “I have to wait until the end of the tenancy before changing agents.”
This isn’t true. The Tenancy Agreement is between you (the landlord) and your tenant. The agency has been hired to manage your property — switching agents won’t impact the agreement.
In fact, it’s often easier to change agents with a tenant in place, as it means the new agent can take over the management of the property without the additional need to advertise and place a new tenant.
2. “Every Glasgow letting agent is the same; there’s no point in switching.”
Most letting agents provide similar services. However, the way in which these services are delivered can vary from one agent to the next. Think of it like having a favourite coffee shop, even though you can get a coffee almost anywhere. There’s more to it than simply getting what you asked for.
Likewise, the very best letting agents in Glasgow are doing more than making sure rent is collected on time. They’re fully regulated, understand the legislation involved, prioritise quality customer service, and offer professional and reliable communication at all times.
3. “Moving to a new letting agent is more fuss than it’s worth.”
Switching from an underperforming agent to one who values a strong working relationship and cares for your property and its tenants is absolutely worth the fuss — if it can even be considered “fuss” in the first place!
In reality, there’s little you need to do in order to switch. Beyond giving your current agent written notice that you plan to leave, your new agent will handle everything on your behalf. Case in point…
Switching Letting Agents in Glasgow (It’s Easier Than You Think)
At Cairn, we make switching simple. From liaising with your current agent to communicating with your tenant(s), we take care of every last detail, including:
- The acquisition of a detailed handover from your current agent. This will include information related to rent arrears, payment plans, planned maintenance, and outstanding tenant requests;
- The transfer and recording of the latest safety certificates;
- The transfer of all keys, up-to-date inventory, and the current lease agreement (if applicable);
- And the provision of a new point of contact and updated bank details for rent payments to your tenant(s).