News & Blog

The latest property news & information from a trusted source.

Explore our property blogs, select a category from below


Services, Buy To Let, Hints & Tips, Landlords, Letting, West End

How to Choose the Right Glasgow West End Letting Agents for Your Rental Property

How to Choose the Right Glasgow West End Letting Agents for Your Rental Property Are you a landlord looking to rent out a property (or properties) in Glasgow’s West End? Working with the right Glasgow West End letting agents can make a world of difference. Here, we explain all.  For many buy-to-let investors in Glasgow, investing in the city’s iconic West End is a no-brainer. This much sought after location combines glorious green space with bustling cafes, trendy bars & restaurants, and countless transport hubs and local amenities. Popular with students and young professionals alike, rental properties are constantly in demand.  And if you’re thinking of adding to your portfolio in this part of the city (or you’re looking for help managing your existing properties), working with expert Glasgow West End letting agents is a must.  Here, we explain how to shortlist and choose the right agent.   What Should You Look for in Glasgow West End Letting Agents? In our experience, there are three key questions you should ask yourself when shortlisting your Glasgow West End letting agents. Let’s explore in more detail: 1. Are they local to the area? Whether you live elsewhere in the city, the country, or overseas, when you appoint a letting agent to look after your property (or properties), it pays to work with someone local to where your portfolio is situated.  That way, you know you have boots on the ground if your tenants require any help or advice, of if an emergency situation arises, such as flooding or fire.  Cairn is located on Gibson Street, smack dab in the middle of the busy Kelvinbridge area. We’re a stone’s throw from Kelvingrove Park and 5 minutes from the University of Glasgow. While other letting agents might claim to keep an eye on the West End, our staff know it inside out. 2. Do they have experience dealing with student lets and HMOs? A large proportion of the renters in the West End are made up of students attending one of the city’s major universities or colleges, many of which are easily accessible from this part of the city. When you’re choosing a West End letting agent, they must have experience in dealing with student lets and HMOs. With so many rules and regulations you need to adhere to as an HMO landlord, you need to know you’re in safe hands and on the right side of the law.  At Cairn, we invest heavily in our people, our staff are both qualified and abreast of legislation to help ensure we meet your obligations as a landlord. In investing to ensure our staff are Letwell and ARLA qualified, we also have an in-house specialist in first tier tribunals and compliance, where normally a landlord would have to pay extensive solicitor fees, our dedicated team keep you compliant. We’ve been dealing with students and HMOs since day one. Discover why we’re the best letting agents for Glasgow students here. 3. Do they have trusted local trade contacts? Above all else, you should have complete peace of mind that your investment is being maintained to a high standard. And a crucial part of this is making sure your West End letting agents have the right processes and contacts in place to safeguard the condition of your portfolio.  When you work with Cairn, we carry out regular inspections and report directly to you. We also deal with any queries or property management issues, and we arrange appropriate (and vetted) contractors to carry out any repairs.  See more: Management Services  Cairn: Proudly Serving the West End of Glasgow Since 1999 Thinking of working with Glasgow West End letting agents? Choose Cairn. Contact us today and speak to one of our friendly (local) property experts.

Services, Buy To Let, Hints & Tips, HMO Properties, Investment, Landlords

How Can HMO Specialists Help Me Prepare My Property?

How Can HMO Specialists Help Me Prepare My Property? Are you planning on converting a property into an HMO? If so, you’ve made a wise investment decision. Although there may be more work involved in letting HMOs, they tend to offer significantly higher rental yields than single buy-to-lets. This is simply because you’ll be collecting rent from a higher number of tenants. But there are several steps you’ll need to take before you can start reaping the financial rewards of an HMO, from obtaining the necessary licence to making it habitable for multiple tenants.  HMO specialists can help you tick every box when preparing your property, making the conversion to an HMO much easier. Why Work with HMO Specialists? 1. HMO Licensing A critical aspect of preparing your HMO property is acquiring the relevant licence.  If three or more unrelated people are renting a property, it’s classed as an HMO (a house in multiple occupation). You’ll need to contact your local council to apply for a licence to let your property as an HMO in Scotland. A licence normally lasts for three years, and you’ll need to renew it before it runs out.  HMO specialists can help you apply for the necessary licence while also making sure it’s renewed before it expires. Read more about HMO licencing here.  2. Safety Checks and Equipment As well as helping you to acquire a licence, HMO specialists can also assist you with other essential compliance measures. These include carrying out safety checks and ensuring that the property has all the required safety equipment, including smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers. An expert HMO letting agent will send all the relevant certificates to your local authority when required. These include gas safety certificates, portal appliance tests, and electrical installation condition reports. An HMO specialist can also ensure that your tenants have undergone the necessary training to maintain and test the safety equipment. 3. Ensuring “Fitness for Human Habitation” When converting your property into an HMO, you’ll need to consider the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. This piece of legislation came into force in 2019 and states that all rented accommodation needs to be suitable for human habitation at the beginning of the tenancy and throughout. The Act gives tenants greater powers to hold landlords to account if the property is below standard. HMO specialists can assist you in ensuring that your property is fit for human habitation by carrying out ongoing maintenance and liaising with tenants.  HMO properties tend to require more maintenance than single buy-to-lets due to the higher number of people living in them. As such, it makes sense to work with an HMO specialist who has connections with certified local tradespeople. This will ensure that any necessary repairs are carried out quickly and to high standards, helping you to comply with all of your legal obligations. Cairn: HMO Specialists Since 1999 An HMO can help you to maximise the potential of your rental portfolio. However, you need to make sure you’re complying with all your legal responsibilities as a landlord.  As seasoned HMO specialists, we can help guide you every step of the way. Cairn has been assisting HMO landlords since 1999 with everything from licence applications to essential safety checks, tests, and training.  Contact us today to learn more about our HMO management services.

1 2
Translate »